There's an easier way to maintain cooking function during an extended power outage than installing a full size wood burning cookstove! Having a pot belly indoor stove may be desirable if you live in a cold climate, but if your main goal is to be able to cook during an extended power outage there are alternatives.
Portable wood gasification cookstoves are more environmentally friendly than any other type of stove on the market! They are clean burning and smokeless. They use simple TWIG LITTER or STICK KINDLING which would normally just decompose in the woods. Best of all they are very affordable.
Three brands of portable wood burning cookstoves have almost 5-star reviews on Amazon: Canway Camp Stove has a small burner to cook for 2 people; Solo Stove "Campfire" a medium burner to cook for up to 4 people; BioLite Stove "Basecamp" has a medium burner w/ a grill or boil option, will cook for a large group , also comes with built in mini thermal generator to charge a cell phone and provide light to cook by.
The 3 Best Portable Smokeless Wood Burning Cookstoves (For Outdoor Use Only):
BioLite BaseCamp Wood Burning Stove System
- Excess heat is converted into electricity and stores it in the integrated 2200mAh Lithium ion battery to be used later, even without a fire. Battery recharges automatically every time you build a fire. Powerbank provides 5 watt (5 volt) USB output to charge your devices including cell phones and smartphones. Smart LED Dashboard monitors power generation & battery level.
- Large Group Cooking: 138 square inch grill surface fits 8 burgers using energy efficient outdoor and off-grid cooking. Uses solid biomass (twigs, firewood, wood chunks, etc.)
- Flexible arm light with USB pass-through. Light meals & keep a device charging at the same time.
- Grill-to-Boil Lever: Transform flame from dissipated heat for grilling to direct heat for pot boiling, at the flip of a switch.
- Set includes: BioLite BaseCamp, Fire starters, Fuel Rack, Ash Tray, Gooseneck USB light, and Instructions. Weight is under 18 pounds.
Solo Stove "Campfire" - compact, wood burning
- The #1 wood-burning backpacking stove recommended by Backpacker Mag & serious survivalists including Discovery Channel’s Matt Graham.
- Patented design features a unique double wall that creates ultra-clean gasification and a secondary combustion. This allows fuel to burn more completely and with less smoke.
- Uses twigs, leaves, pinecones and wood as fuel. Eliminates the need to carry heavy, polluting and expensive canister fuels.
- Boils water in 4-6 mins (34 fl oz water). 7" Diameter, 6.7"/9.25" tall (packed/assembled). Weighs only 2.2 lbs. Made of premium stainless steel and nichrome wire. Nylon stuff sack included.
Canway - portable wood burning cookstove
- Compact & Lightweight: Lightweight and easily collapsible,package collapsible size is 5.5" x 5.5" x 3.38", compact design makes this outdoor stove easy to store until needed.
- Sturdy Wood Burning Portable Stove: Made of high-quality stainless steel. This compact stove with the 3 support arms provides a safe and stable cooking platform and distributes heat evenly.
- Environmentally Friendly: With no fuel canisters or alcohol needed, we’ll be leaving no chemical emissions behind. The camp stove uses branches, leaves, woods as fuel which is easy to get anywhere.
- High Thermal Efficiency: The secondary combustion keeps the stove burning continuously for 20 mins with dry firewood & wood chips.
- What You Get: 1 x wood burning stove, 1 x storage bag, 1 x user manual, 2-YEAR WARRANTEE from date of original purchase.